Monday 5 November 2012

whats cookin??

I love to cook, I never follow a recipe. Measuring doesnt work for me either. Something about it goes against my grain, I like to keep it loose and shoot from the hip so to speak.
This afternoon I decided to treat my kids to some muffins for an after school snack, the lack of eggs required some creativity.

What I DID have in stock was, frozen grated zuchinni from my garden as well as frozen blackberries we harvested....from there I tried to think what would work without eggs. This is what I came up with, and I have to say it turned out fantastically.

Total prep time, 5 mintues, heck I didnt even thaw the frozen stuff all the way.
preheat oven to 425

wet ingredients first. ( to let them thaw a bit)
one sandwich size ziploc of frozen shredded zuchinni
one cup frozen blackberries
1 cup milk.

throw in
one heavy hand of steel cut oats
one handful of hemp seed
half cup brown sugar
about three/four cups premix pancake powder

toss this all together to moisten, the zukes will throw off a lot of moisture as they cook. as will the blackberries. it was a really chunky batter. This batter stood for about 10 minutes while I dealt with my 4 year old...as a result it rose up nicely from the pancake mix:)

butter your muffin tin. fill muffin tins almost full.
bake for about 40 mins, do the old toothpick test to make sure it comes out clean.

Viola, easy muffins that are healthy (ish) and a great way to use up your fall harvest. It turned out the perfect dozen muffins, and they were pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. these got eaten up so fast that the very next day, i did it again! only this time i used bananas and blueberries, and used a loaf pan. yum yum. this recipe is a keeper...now to never ever run out of pancake mix:)

    ReplyDelete