Friday 9 November 2012

Farmhouse Primitive

My partner Krysta (K-Rock to my L-Camino), spotted this awesome old handmade cabinet and we scooped it up! It was made very well, barnboard backing, solid shelves, somebody must have taken great care crafting this for his sweetheart:)

Here is a shot of the before...old, cracked, chipped, wormholed, and long since it was loved.

 
Now to be fair, it looks a lot better in this photo than it did when we went to pick it up! This is what the lady (who was gonna redo it) took as HER before shot...ours would have been a sanded down, half painted blue mess..yuk.
 
We hauled it home and put it in the shop, it sat for a few weeks while I pondered over and over again what to do with it. I bounced a lot of ideas off Krysta, and we must have talked about this thing like 10 times at least. And then as always, it is as though lightening strikes my brain, and I am consumed with the vision.
 
I started this by painting the "hot spots" out in the base colors. When I say "hot spots" I'm referring to the areas that I intend to distress. I always put great care into selecting these areas, they should be those most likely to naturally distress, and to keep things interesting throw a couple suprises in there. I chose from our vanGogh Chalkpaint Collection a rich GO TO base color Balsamic
 
I then went over the balsamic with the color Lipstick, at this point I also began to color block in the inside shelving, I knew I wanted the interior to really pop so I did the top of the shelves in Lipstick. I had to do a couple coats to get it really really rich red. The color is amazing, but the red pigment requires a bit of coaching to get it deep and dark:)
 
I taped off the interior and painted out the back walls in a gorgeous shade called Muse, I then also painted the entire exterior the same. Now what I feel is really worth mentioning is the coverage. It was amazing how this light shade covered all that darkness to well.
 
I decided to bring all the colors to the inside in a color block manner, so I painted the edges of the shelving in Balsamic. The exterior was already in rough shape, and I have never gone this far with distressing before. Farmhouse primitive is not my usual finish, but I was super excited to give it a shot! Here is what turned out, and has now been deemed the "cameo finish".
 
Inside of cabinet
 
 
A shot of the cornice
 
 
And a snapshot of the whole thing, please excuse my complete lack of photography skills, and this was taken all by my cell phone! hah!
 
 
The cabinet is a stunning piece, if you would like to see it in person come on by Cameo Boutique in unit #8 Whippletree Junction! For further information on vanGogh Chalkpaint, or to find a retailer in your area go to, http://www.vangoghchalkpaintcollection.com/
 
For a list of upcoming workshops at Cameo Boutique check out our website http://cameostore.wix.com/cameoboutique
 
or find us on good old Facebook!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment