Saturday 1 December 2012

the path less taken

I have been seriously sidetracked lately. That china cabinet I promised still sits, half painted in the studio at Whippletree....BUT I have turned out a few great things that were "unplanned".

Inspiration is one of those tricky bitches, you never know when it will sneak up on you and poke you in the *#&* (put your favouite explative here).

I was perusing one of our local buy and sell sights when I stumbled upon a pair of hexagonal end tables. MDF and laminate, looked to be in pretty good shape. What really caught my eye was the wheat sheaf motif (what a mouthfull) on the doors. It was unique and very pretty. The price was too good to pass up, when I placed the call, the home was only 3 minutes from my house...so the deal was sealed. They had to be mine.

As I mentioned inspiration sneaks up on you, but in my case it not only sneaks up on me...it grabs ahold and wont let go until I have completed the task. No matter if it takes all night. I have joined the color movement, because if I hear one more time "oh they are lovely, if only they were white I'd buy them" I may lose my mind.

White has its place, and it is lovely, but lets not forget the world is full of color. It is meant to be enjoyed, played with, and its time for some creativity folks. So here is an example of me, taking the road less travelled.

Firstly I have been dying to use the color combination of Serentiy under Starry Night with French Caffeine Wax. ...

serenity

 
starry night
 
 
and just for the interior doors (and for fun!) Victorian!
 
 



As usual excuse the disgusting flash effect from my photos, they flat out suck. Trust me when I say these end tables are two of the deepest most luxurious pieces to come out of my studio.

 
The inside of the doors have a fun peek a boo of victorian purple, and as usual I color block repeated these colors on the inside cabinet walls. Priced at $150 for the pair, someone who isnt afraid to take the road less travelled is going to get one heck of a buy!



2 comments:

  1. Honestly. I know..I SO know about the "if it was white" line..I hear it all the time and if we're being honest, I admire the people that love white and can "do" white...cause that s*** scares me...I ADORE ADORE color! Its that Ukrainian women in me (who also loves whiskey..her fault, not mine....story for another time) *sigh* I just love color (and wheat sheaf motifs too). I saw these yesterday in real life and they.are.stunning! Such a rich deep beautiful blue, that goes with everything by the way......including white.
    Aa-mazing Lisa.
    Welcome to the dark side(of white) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to paint everything cream white or light grey, but it was definately a time for a change..i have had handpained white furniture in my house for 10 years! out with the old...and time to maybe redo my house too:)

    ReplyDelete