Monday 20 August 2012

evolve.

i have been overwhelmed by a desire to "do something" for several months. the feeling didnt sneak up on me, it has been brewing for quite some time. long ago, before marriage and children, i used to be rather creative, i would take somebody's old junk and turn it into something unique.

my past talents converged with this "feeling" when i stumbled upon an old, broken vanity at our local auction. it was kinda heaped up in the corner in a couple pieces. there was a whisper in my ear, i recognized the voice from long ago. it was my creativity.

now i know oprah is always taking about listening to your inner voice....but honestly i hadnt heard mine in so long it took me by suprise. these days the only voices i hear are my kids or husbands. or my mother (thats another blog:) the sound of that voice was like nectar to my ears.

last week that voice told be to buy this old DARK reproduction china cabinet and spruce it up. and though i wish i had a before shot to share, really the only thing that matters is that it looks amazing now. here is how it turned out.






3 comments:

  1. Looks great! What kind/colour paint did you use? I am in the process of re-doing our cabinet and would love to know what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thank you, you are my very first comment! As it happenes i had a large tin of door and trim paint in semi gloss acrylic enamel. the color is fuzzy mitten from home hardware here in the cowichan valley. I used their house brand. I primed it 2 good coats with Zinsser primer.
    I love the chalk paint look, but door and trim paint is SUPER durable, and washes up like a dream. Also it was quite cost effective as I already had the tin:) good luck with your project, and remember the more time and care you put into it the better results you will get.
    ~sand lightly
    ~prime prime prime. icannot stress this enough.
    ~do your first coat of paint, then let it dry. come back to it and check for any runs, or spots that may be in need of another scuffing of light grit sandpaper...after the first coat i always lighty go over it with super fine grit.
    ~if satisfied with the finish proceed with the next coat of paint.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I will let you know how it goes!! Good Luck with your new venture! I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete